For today’s class you needed to read “Speech Act Lumber and Paint,” “Coherence,” “Variations on a Frame,” and “Sailors and Immigrants” in the Agar textbook. Please answer any ONE question from EACH of the four chapters (four answers in all) as grouped below.
“Speech Act Lumber and Paint”
1. How does Garfinkel’s experimental approach help you test what differences matter? What might be some problems with this method?
2. What is structure?
3. What is the relation of structure to content?
4. How do structure and content relate to action?
5. What is the purpose of detailed analysis like Hyme’s SPEAKING, the “grammars” of Chapter Five, and the transcripts discussed in this chapter?
1. How can cultural coherence lead to communication difficulties within a society?
2. How can intercultural communication transform this?
3. What do the examples in this chapter suggest about how cultural systems change?
“Variations on a Frame”
1. How is culture tied to identities?
2. How do we express identities through culture?
3. What does Agar mean by saying some identities are denser than others?
4. What three things does Agar say people can do with social identities?
“Sailors and Immigrants”
1. What does MAR stand for?
2. What concepts from the rest of the book are useful in adopting Agar’s MAR approach to intercultural relations?
3. Why engage in this kind of intercultural communication? (I count three answers offered by Agar. Maybe you can find more…)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more